What is ABS Plastic and advantages?
ABS, also known as Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene, is a polymer that is composed of three different monomers. These components are acrylonitrile, butadiene, and styrene. The overall property of ABS plastic depends on the constituent proportion of the monomers. Each monomer is responsible for certain properties.
- Acrylonitrile provides chemical and thermal stability.
- Butadiene is responsible for increasing the toughness and impact strength
- Styrene is the component that gives the plastic a nice and glossy finish.
Advantages of ABS Plastics
- ABS is thermoplastic; that means it can be heated and cooled more than once, thus making ABS products recyclable.
- ABS plastics have a high impact resistance.
- ABS plastics have a high chemical resistance making them safe to use.
- ABS products are considered to be great electrical insulants.
- ABS plastics are easy to paint and glue.
- ABS plastics are great at absorbing shock.
- ABS plastics usually don’t cost much making them affordable for small companies.
- ABS products are great at resisting heat and scratches.
- ABS plastics have excellent ductility.
- Since ABS plastic is easily manufactured, glued and painted it can be used in 3D printing and prototyping.
- ABS plastic usually use for plastic injection molds.