What is PET Plastic and advantages?
Polyethylene terephthalate (PET or PETE) is a general-purpose thermoplastic polymer which belongs to the polyester family of polymers. Polyester resins are known for their excellent combination of properties such as mechanical, thermal, chemical resistance as well as dimensional stability.
Advantages & Key Properties of PET Resin
- It has higher strength and stiffness than PBT
- It is very strong and lightweight & hence easy and efficient to transport
- It is known for its good gas (oxygen, carbon dioxide) and moisture barrier properties
- It exhibits excellent electrical insulating properties
- PET has broad range of use temperature, from -60 to 130°C
- As compared to PBT, it also has higher heat distortion temperature (HDT)
- It has low gas permeability, in particularly with carbon dioxide
- PET is suitable for transparent applications, when quenching during processing
- PET doesn’t not break or fracture. It is practically shatter-resistant and hence, a suitable glass-replacement in some applications
- It is recyclable and transparent to microwave radiation
- PET is approved as safe for contact with foods and beverages by the FDA, Health Canada, EFSA & other health agencies